Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review: Sportypal

I love this gps app for my smart phone. I have been using it since February and it has added a fun, new dimension to my running without having to invest in a gps watch.

The program gives you instant feedback of statistics while you run like pace, time, distance, and calories burned.  It creates a map of each run.  It allows you to upload the information to a personal page on Sportypal’s website where you can view and manipulate the map and statistics to your heart’s content.  If you are a graph geek, like me, you will love the features.

You can also automatically share the results of each workout on facebook and twitter, instantly at the end each run.

The app is easy to learn and use with large finger friendly buttons and menus on my touch screen Windows Mobile phone, even with my clumsy, sweaty fingers (it is available for the other mobile operating systems too).

I have to admit the app was a little buggy when I first started using it, sometimes frustratingly so, but with each revision over past few months it has become more reliable and accurate.

Here are some screen shots from my phone from my run this morning (a new PR by the way):





I still wear my tried and trusted (and very basic) Timex Ironman as my primary method of tracking my time, but this app makes keeping track a lot more fun.

I should mention one more important feature. It’s free! (Assuming you already own a gps enabled smart phone.)

Here is a link if anyone is interested: http://www.sportypal.com/Home

No comments:

Post a Comment