Monday, April 2, 2012

Inspired by Caballo Blanco

Micah True, also known as Caballo Blanco, passed away last week while on a 12 mile trail run in the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico.  Micah True's story was featured in the book Born to Run but if you aren't familiar with him or his work with the Tarahumara in Mexico's Copper Canyon, you can read a great interview of him here.  (Thanks Brad for the great link) 

The cause of death is still unknown and autopsy results should be disclosed in the next few days.  He was found reclining by the side of a stream with his feet soaking in the cool water.  The image sounds peaceful but I found it eerily reminiscent of this photo I took just four months ago. 


It’s the kind of thing I do on virtually every trail run, take the time to stop and savor my surroundings – a beautiful vista, the sound of the wind through the trees or the sensation of cool water on my feet.

I’m a little surprised at myself by how much I have been touched by his death.  Many friends have been sending me news links about it.  I think part of it is because I do so much solo trail running, but you can easily see how inspired I was by his story just by looking at a graph of my monthly mileage.

Click to enlarge

It was a pivotal moment in my life and I know that I would not have accomplished the things I have over the past two and a half years without that spark of inspiration.  I think its rare in life that such a moment can be so dramatically illustrated.

“I just want to live a healthy life, live and love.  To do what I can with whatever I am blessed with.  I have no material goals of being wealthy.  I feel I am already wealthy in the ways I care about.”
   Micah True

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Great mileage and nice piece on an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete