Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recovery runs are tough . . .

. . . mentally.

I’m trying to get in the mindset that every run has a purpose - recovery, speed workouts, intervals, fartleks, hills, tempo runs and of course the long slow run.

I’m coming off of a pretty intense week last week. I rested yesterday so the purpose of this morning’s run was recovery. I was still a little sore from the weekend so the goal was to maintain a relaxing, easy pace to help prepare me for the rest of the week. I ran a 5 mile loop around my neighborhood that has become very familiar. I have broken through 45 minutes for this route a few times and I know exactly what my splits need to be in order to do that.

As I reached the end of each mile I had to resist the urge to lean forward and accelerate. I couldn’t resist the urge to do the math in my head and calculate the remaining splits I needed in order beat that magic number that somehow manages to be both meaningful and meaningless at the same time. I kept telling myself that every run has a purpose and the goal for today was not to go for a new record.

I won my mental battle. After my usual slow first mile I eased into a 9:15 pace and for the next 4 miles that pace only fluctuated by +/- 4 seconds. I finished the 5 miles in 47:03, accomplishing what I set out to do, but still was just a little disappointed.

No worries though, tomorrow is dedicated to speed and running with reckless abandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment