Monday, March 7, 2011

If you’re not enjoying the scenery, you’re running too fast.

Blackwater Creek
I’m running as much as ever and running trails at every opportunity but a hectic few weeks kept me largely unplugged from the digital world.

To make up for it, I give you scenes from the Seminole State Forest, with very little commentary. I ran the trail on Sunday, got lost twice, startled a deer (OK I confess, the deer startled me), got baked by the sun, struggled with runner’s knee, carried too little water and got dehydrated, got scratched, dirty, bitten . . . and loved every minute of it.

I should credit the quote I used for the title of this post as being from a book I'm reading, Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon.  It's a collection of race reports from ultra marathons that I am finding very inspirational.





Luxury accomodations courtesy of the Florida Trail Assoc.

Hiker sign in


This is where you really sense the solitude, a nice change of pace from the long green tunnel.





Eden?

A little road running was a nice break from uneven ground and very easy on the legs.


Getting lost was very easy. The trail looked obvious enough in the top photo but when I reached the tree line it narrowed to a game trail and then vanished. Doubling back I found the actual trail was a much smaller footpath hidden behind palmetto to the right of the trail marker. I didn’t even see it the first time through.

I've been told this is my element.

10 comments:

  1. That looks like all kinds of awesome!!

    But after running my half in WDW - and only half of it with the sun up - and then melting and getting a sunburn, I don't know how you do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing looking trail network. I agree with FruitFly- as much as I moan on and on about winter I think I prefer it over the opressive humidity that you kids from Florida have to deal with...
    Regardless, I'd take a few days of heat & trail running to break up the winter doldrums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update. Loving the bandanna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet place to run! I am just starting to run trails and hope I can find one like this. Today as I ran along the Ashley River in Downtown Charleston (SC), there were two fighter jets flying over me the entire time. It was so cool to have them above, the sail boats on one side and historic Charleston on the other. I think I can slow down for the scenery...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running this one on Wednesday, thanks for the heads up! And yes, you are in your element and the Bandanna is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! The Seminole State Forest looks like a great place to run. Agreed, sometimes it's so mentally refreshing to unplug from the digital world and run the trails!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I drove by you Saturday morning in the mist by Lake Helen. Hope it was a good run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @anonmymous. That was me, and it was a great run. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Moore. I think I ran in that area during the Charleston Marathon in January. It was a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Regarding heat, I guess it all depends on what you are used to. I think the low to mid 60's is perfect.

    ReplyDelete