Monday, November 29, 2010

Space Coast Marathon – Wow!! What a ride!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: “WOW!! What a ride!”

Dean Karnazes
(quoting unknown source)
Ultra Marathon Man, Confessions of an All-Night Runner


Official time: 4:27:39 and I hit the wall – hard – around mile 23, but I finished.



It’s honestly hard to say which was more rewarding, crossing the finish line myself, or watching other friends accomplish the same feat for the first time. It’s remarkable how strong the bond is that forms between people training together for a marathon.

Someone whose opinion I respect suggested I dedicate a blog entry to what happened to me in the last 10 miles of this race. I couldn’t agree more. It was a true test of character and one of the hardest things I have done in my life.

I will take just a little time to reflect and then fill you in on the gritty details.

3 comments:

  1. I have been following your post. Great job finishing. Your blog brings inspiration to others! I hope you decide to run several more marathons and you continue with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people who cross the finish line at a marathon think its symbolizes the end of a long journey. However, some people believe the finish line marks the beginning of the real journey.

    Whichever it is for you, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well many, many congratulations to you! Looking forward to hearing about your final 10.

    Final 10? Wow - I mean I can't even do 10, let alone a race where I would have a final 10. Great job!

    ReplyDelete