Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Getting Faster

I just thought I would share this graph of my average 5k pace over the past few months.


It represents training runs of 3-5 miles. Each point is the average pace over several runs during that week. I had to convert the times to a decimal to trick excel to display the graph right, for example 9.50 = 9:30 minutes/mile.

I have quickened my pace from an average of about 9:40 to 8:15 in just a few weeks, without doing a single speed workout. This is purely the result of running with the West Volusia Runners since the beginning of the month. I just pushed myself a little to try to hang with some of the faster runners and found that I was able to keep up.

The group holds a weekly speed workout featuring 400 or 800 meter intervals that has been on hiatus this month. I’m excited to see how much I will improve after running a few of those workouts.

4 comments:

  1. That is cool! I agree that it is fun to realize that you are getting faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beth.

    I'm excited to find out how well I can perform in a race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on getting faster, be careful running alot, and hard too much. It is a recipe for injury.

    ReplyDelete