Sunday, October 17, 2010

Basking in the Afterglow

I’m fresh out of an ice bath, bingeing on pastries and coffee, and celebrating the completion of a glorious 19.1 mile run this morning. This was my longest run to date and capped off a 42 mile week, also a record.



Everything went well this morning. I had no knee pain, or any signifciant pain for that matter.  I even had enough energy left at the end of the run to pick up my pace for the last three miles.  I had my hydration perfected.  I ate well in preparation for the run.  The temperature was in the 60's for the entire time.   I couldn't have wished for a better run.

For my last two long runs I have been eating Powerbar Energy Gel Blasts. I got free samples of these after my last few races and finally decided to give them a try. I like them much better than Gu and will keep using them for now. After the first few miles, I start popping one every mile or so and that seems to work well. They have a much better taste than Gu and a texture very similar to Gummi Bears. I look forward to eating them, like candy, as opposed to Gu which I down with reluctance every time. They do take a minute to chew and swallow which can be a little difficult when you are breathing heavy.

I am confident that I will be able to finish 20 miles next week but the thought of having to run another hour in order to finish 26.2 has me a little nervous.

Six more weeks until the Space Coast Marathon!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome run. Youre ready!

    -jimdo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiice. I'm getting pumped for all of you who are counting down to the big race day!
    Great that your knee is back in good form too. Running pain free is such a huge plus (it's almost as nice to be free from the worry of injury as it is from the pain itself.)
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job. sounds like you're back on track. It was nice out yesterday morning, i managed a little over 20 miles at an 8:15 pace, three weeks till the taper begins..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Power Bar gels are so good!! I don't eat candy at all, so when I run long enough that I want to use them, it is like an extra little treat for my taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @middleagedrunner Thanks, and I was glad to read you finally resolved your shin pain too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Fruitfly These are the best tasting thing I've ever eaten to refuel during a run. A woman in my running club eats real Gummi Bears during her long runs. She can run circles around me, so maybe she's on to something. I would try it but I am so addicted to those things I would finish the bag in the first few miles of the run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anonymous Only in my dreams could maintain an 8:15 pace for 20 miles. I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jim Thanks. Your report from Chicago really got me excited for my race. These last 6 weeks of training can't pass soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 more weeks! It's coming up quick! Woot! Way to go on the 19 miler!
    The Gel blasts do sound yummy, I might have to try those!

    ReplyDelete