Friday, October 1, 2010

You pays your money, you takes your chances


My wallet is a little lighter today because I just registered for the Daytona Beach Half Marathon on Halloween. This will be my second half marathon and with one month left in my marathon training, it will be a good test of how well my marathon training is going.

I ran the Gasparilla Half Marathon in 2:16 in February and I think I have a very good chance of breaking 2:00 for this race.

The course is interesting in that it starts and finishes at the Daytona Speedway. Historically, the route began and ended on the racetrack and included a lap around the 2.5 mile track. Since the track is undergoing repaving the route has been changed for this year. We are still guaranteed a “race track experience” whatever that means. The new route should be made available any day now.

From the speedway we will run to the beach and back, so there will be two bridge crossings near the middle of the race.

I’m back on schedule in my marathon training. I ran this morning for the third day in a row and had no pain in my knee, even when I accelerated to about a 7:40 pace for the last ¾ mile.

My training program originally included three 20 milers, but after the hiccup I experienced over the past few weeks, one of those has been scrubbed. If all goes well I will have 20 milers the weekend before and after this race and then start my taper for Space Coast Marathon on November 28.  Looks like I’ll be carb loading over Thanksgiving. Like I need an excuse. :)

I will rest tomorrow and do 17 miles on Sunday. I must be a little sick in the head because I am really looking forward to this long run.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'll be so close! Saturday I'll be at NASA, and then on Halloween I'll be at Universal soaking up all things Halloween. I shall for you from not too afar!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and enjoy your runs! I like your mileage tracker. If I wanted to put one like it on my blog where would I find the gadget?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good gravy, Ronda!! I shall ROOT for you from not too afar. (Please excuse my blond moment!) :)
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sharla - My mileage tracker isn't a real gadget, its just text that I manually edit every few days. If you do find a running gadget like that please let me know, I'd love to have one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Fruitfly - does that mean that Malice in Horrorland is going to be stalking her next victim at HHNXX?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes she will!!

    I LOVE HHN. It is my sole reason for making my annual Fall trip to Orlando. When I lived there we would go probably 13 nights per year! The scarier the better I say!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Me AGAIN!
    I have a mileage tracker on my page - although not as fancy as yours. Mine syncs through Daily Mile and updates automatically when I log my miles on that website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Daytona Half sounds really fun! I also did a half in the middle of my training, and it worked out really well.
    You're not crazy for looking forward to the long run, you're a runner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just spent a week in Florida and can't fathom how all of you run down there. The humidity is staggering... But perhaps you're used to it? (it's funny to tink of things like that on vacation- it could be the begining of one of those "you know you're a runner when..." phrases.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Fruitfly I hear a lot of people use Daily Mile, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @freak4fitness Thanks. I really enjoyed the 17 miler today. My knee flared up again towards the end but overall I had a great (but very slow) run.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @middleagedrunner I don't think you ever get used to it, but when the temperature finally drops and the air dries out we get months of great running fall through early spring. The weather started to turn last week and its already much better.

    ReplyDelete