Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Route Announced for Daytona Beach Half Marathon

It must be official because I got the email announcement today and when I tried to access their website, it had crashed. I’m sure everyone must have been trying to check it out right away, just like me.

I finally got a look at the new route this evening and I’m pleased.

The race starts and ends inside the Daytona International Speedway.


I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but its hard not to take an interest when you live this close to Daytona.  I've never actually been inside the Speedway, so that alone will be an experience. 

We will not be able to race on the track because of repaving, but we will run a little over 2 miles through the infield. After that we will exit the Speedway and run east towards the Atlantic Ocean on International Speedway Blvd. (US 92).


At about Mile 6 we will cross the Hallifax River via this bridge to get beachside. We will get a very brief view of the ocean at Sun Splash Park before making the turn and heading back toward the Speedway, crossing the Hallifax Bridge again at Mile 8.


With the exception of the two bridge crossings, it should be a pretty flat, fast course.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm going to have to put this on my destination race list. Looks like you get some incredible views! Good luck with it, it'll sneak up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ freak4fitness The speedway will be interesting and the few miles we get near the water will be nice, but in between is a whole lot of commercial highway. I don't think anyone would call Daytona's stretch of US 92 scenic. I ran the Gasparilla Half Marathon in Tampa earlier this year and the majority of that run was waterfront. I would recommend that one for cooler weather and better views, not to mention that it has pirates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous that you are running in the speedway! Daytona is probably my favorite track to watch races at. If I hadn't gotten injured I would so so this race! Maybe next year. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete